Don't Wait to File your EEOC Complaint!

Did you know that an employee only has 180 calendar days (approximately 6 Months) to file a complaint with the EEOC? The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) enforces Federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. Typically, an employee must file a “Charge of Discrimination” with the EEOC before filing a lawsuit against your employer.

It is important to act in a timely manner. Even the most valid discrimination claims can be cut-off if the 180-day period has passed.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. Do I need to hire an attorney to file an EEOC charge?

While legal representation is not necessary, it can help make the process less confusing and stressful. Humble Law, LLC prepares EEOC charges for clients and represents them throughout the EEOC process.

  1. What information should I bring to file a charge with the EEOC?

You should bring any information or documents related to your employment, job performance, or termination. Include items you believe are important to helping the EEOC understand your situation.

  1. How long will it take the EEOC to complete its investigation?

Depending on the complexity of your case an investigation can take more than six (6) months but many are resolved in less than three (3) months.

  1. When can I file a lawsuit?

You will have to wait for the EEOC to give you a “Notice of Right-to-Sue.” The notice will be issued when they have finished processing your charge or you may request one after 180 days.

Be sure to check out the EEOC website for all of the information needed to file a complaint with their office.


Marquie Young is an Associate Attorney in Humble Law’s Nashville office. She represents employees whose rights have been violated. Marquie can be reached via email at or by phone at 615-800-3041.

Meet The Team at Humble Law LLC

Meet The Team
Read Our Blog

Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Send Your Message